A few months ago I found a couple of good looking beer recipes at HomeBrew.com. The first one I chose to try was a Milk Stout recipe. When brewing it, I had an issue with the White Labs yeast that I had used. It basically failed to activate. I had to make an emergency substitution with a couple of packets of Safbrew S33. This was the only other yeast that I had in my house at the time. The Safbrew S33 did the job and the Milk Stout turnecd out pretty good.
Today I am trying out a Homebrew.com Saison Recipe. The recipe is called "Bridget’s Love Potion Saison" and here is my attempt at it:
- 8 ounces Belgian Caravienne malted barley
- 4 ounces Belgian Aromatic malted barley
- 6 pounds powdered light malt extract
- 1.5 ounces Styrian Golding - bittering hops
- 1 teaspoon Irish Moss
- 1 pound Candi Sugar (smells like it would be great for making cookies)
- 1 ounce Saaz - flavoring hops
- 1 ounce Saaz - aroma/finishing hops
- 0.5 ounce Dried Sweet Orange Peel
- 1 ounce Coriander Seeds - crack just before use
- Saison yeast -- Qty 2 of Wyeast #3711 Fr. Sasion yeast 4.25 oz
- Follow directions to activate the yeast if need be
- Take Malted Barley (milled at store) and place in a grain bag.
- Steep in about 2 gallons of hot water (155° F) for about 30 minutes.
- Remove the grain and slowly dissolve the powdered malt extract.
- Bring to a boil
- Add the 1.5 oz Styrian Golding Hops
- Wait 35 minutes
- Add the Irish Moss and Candi Sugar.
- Wait 15 minutes
- Add 1 oz Saaz hops (flavoring).
- Wait 10 minutes
- Add 1 oz Saaz hops (finishing), the cracked coriander seeds and orange peels.
- Wait 2 minutes
- Remove the wort from heat and cool to 70-80° F so as not to kill the yeast (use wort chiller or ice bath to cool the wort)
- Add the cooled wort wort into fermenter and top up to 5 gallons with water.
- Stir wort to add oxygen (for yeast growth).
- Pitch yeast.
- Cover fermenter and add pressure release valve
- Store in a cool, dark place (65-70° F).
- Wait at least 2 weeks
- Siphon beer off of the yeast sediment and into clean bucket (this is the for 2nd fermentation)
- Wait 2 weeks
- Siphon beer to bottling bucket, dissolve 3/4 cup of corn sugar, rack into bottles and cap.
- Wait for 3-4 weeks for carbonation.
OG: 1.063 (Estimated) -- 1.062 (Actual on 7/25/2010)
2nd Ferm: 1.002 (Actual on 8/17/2010)
FG: 1.014 (Estimated)
Alcohol: 6.4% (Estimated) -- (Likely 7.9% as of 8/17/2010)
Yield: about 2 cases of beer (50 12-ounce bottles).