What follows here is my recipe for Fat Robin Barleywine. This is my first barleywine and my first all-grain recipe that I designed from scratch using the Beer Smith 2 software. I brewed this on January 19, 2014. In late February 2014, I bottled this into some beautiful used 25oz swing-top bottles that I got used from Northampton Beer & Winemaking on King Street in Northampton, MA. I also had labels made for this at Grogtag just because I liked that such a thing was possible.
This recipe includes 11.5oz of light DME because I was new to the concept of fly sparging and missed my target OG, so I had to bring it up. Also, I made a 1,000mL starter, with one vial of Bourbon Yeast (White Labs #WLP070), but would probably use two vials in the future or step up the one vial into a larger starter before using it.
When I bottled this, it took a few month to carbonate properly. I am assuming that this has something to do with the WLP070 Bourbon yeast. Happily I bottled a couple of 12oz test bottle to check it along the way, so I did not have to waste too much of it.
This barleywine had a great taste. The WLP070 Bourbon Yeast adds a very distinctive smoked-malt taste that is hard to nail down. I am down to my last 3 bottles and need to make another batch soon.
Fat Robin Barleywine (v1.0)
English Barleywine (19 B)
Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Time: 60 min
Final Bottling Vol: 4.59 gal
Equipment: (10 gallon mash tun, 7 Gal pot)
Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 87.4 % Taste Rating: 30.0
Amt Name Grain % IBUs
- 10 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) 55.6 %
- 4 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (1.7 SRM) 22.3 %
- 2 lbs Vienna Malt (4.0 SRM) 11.1 %
- 1 lbs Honey (1.0 SRM) 5.6 %
- 11.5 oz Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) 4.0 %
- 4.0 oz Roasted Barley (525.0 SRM) 1.4 %
- 1.00 oz Citra Leaf [12.00 %] - Boil 45.0 min 25.1 IBUs
- 1.00 oz Willamette Pellet [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min 6.8 IBUs
- 2.00 oz Citra Leaf [12.00 %] - (flameout) 0.0 IBUs
- 1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins)
- 1 pkg Bourbon Yeast (White Labs #WLP070)
Est Original Gravity: 1.100 SG Est Final Gravity: 1.024 SG Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 10.1 %
Bitterness: 31.9 IBUs -- Est Color: 15.5 SRM
Mash Name: Single Infusion, Full Body, No Mash Out
Sparge Water: 4.24 gal -- Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F
Measured OG: 1.080 -- SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 8.5 % Calories: 274.0 kcal/12oz
Total Grain Weight: 17 lbs 15.5 oz -- Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Mash PH: 5.20 (Estimated by software, I did not take a live reading)
- Mash In
- Add 23.51 qt of water at 166.6 F
- 156.0 F -- 45 min
- Sparge: Fly sparge with 4.24 gal water at 168.0 F
- Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains
(about 95% of the time).
Carbonation Used: Bottled with 4.00 oz Corn Sugar
Storage Temperature: 65.0 F
- 1.052 Gravity after Mash, before boil or honey add.